Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Visa

The final process before I leave is getting a Visa. If you don't know, a Visa is essentially permission to enter another country. Without a Visa your passport is worthless, if you're planning an extended stay. For instance, South Korea requires a Visa if you plan on staying more than 90 days.

I went to apply for mine yesterday at the Korean Consulate here in L.A. (Wilshire and Vermont) , they made the process very effortless. There was no line and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.


From the information I was given I anticipated a grueling process that took several weeks to complete. I came in with bank statements, financial aid awards, a birth certificate, THE WORKS; I didn't want to have to go home and come back for any reason. I filled out the application and took all my materials to window 2. The woman behind the glass only took one passport photo, my passport, the application, and Yonsei's certificate of admission. It cost 45USD and I can pick it up today at 11 a.m.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tyren, this is Priscilla--don't know if you remember me, but I'm another CSULA student going to Korea this year. I just wanted to let you know that the info you posted about visas and everything else on FB was amazingly helpful! I've also enjoyed reading your blog so far; I'm starting one to document my Korean experience too, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone ;) As for your visa experience--mines totally caught me by surprise, too. I was prepared to wait in line for hours only to have to argue with bureaucrats, like with other visas, but the consulate was incredibly efficient. Hope it's a good sign as to what to expect in Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised too, I was expecting something similar to a DMV visit.

    ReplyDelete